Police Crime Courts & Sentencing Act
Women are at the forefront of peaceful direct actions vs rape & domestic violence; poverty; climate emergency; Black Lives Matter; Gypsy, Roma & Travellers’ rights; family campaigns vs death in custody & racist murders; stop & search; sexist family courts; sexist, racist, anti-working-class policing; Palestinian-led BDS movement … Our demands have been met with decriminalisation of rape (1.6% conviction rate!) & repression of our movements.
What's in the Act?
- New police powers to criminalise protests which are ‘noisy’, ‘annoying’, cause ‘obstruction’, ‘trespass’ and ‘nuisance’.
- and further criminalise Gypsy, Roma & Traveller communities.
- New Serious Violent Crime Reduction Orders leading to curfews and more stop and search.
- A legal obligation on public sector workers (healthcare, schools and youth services) to work with police to ‘predict crime’.
- Longer and mandatory sentences.
- Moves the automatic release date from half-way through a sentence to two-thirds.
- Whole life sentences for children as young as 10. This without even considering evidence of widespread abuse by guards in juvenile secure units, secure children’s homes and detention centres.
The police don’t need more powers. They need to use the powers they have to protect women and children and everyone against violent men, including violent officers. For decades they refused to investigate child abuse (see Rotherham, Rochdale, Oxford, Jersey, Shirley Oaks…), and dismissed women reporting domestic violence (2 to 3 women a week are murdered by ex/partner!) and racist attacks.
Key materials from our campaign
- Time to clean up the the police force, Camden New Journal,
15 October 2021
- Rallying Against the Police Bill, Morning Star, 22 Sept 2021
Our protest leaflet, 11 Sept 2021
- Statement - Why women oppose the Police, Crime, Sentencing & Courts Bill, July 2021
- Evidence to Joint Committee on Human Rights, May 2021
- Mayday National KilltheBill Protest
- Police Bill: 5 years for rape, 10 for damaging a slaver statue
RT & share these shocking figures on police violence against women: